Backing up your iPhone isn’t simple like other Android devices. You can’t simply just copy your stuff. You either have to connect your device to a Windows PC or Mac and back up using iTunes or you can back up your device using iCloud.
When you back up using a PC or Mac then it takes a little time and your stuff easily gets stored, safe and secure. If you don’t have a PC or a Mac then you can use iCloud to make a backup of your devices.
When you make a backup via iCloud, your stuff gets stored on iCloud Drive which is basically safer than PC or Mac as sometimes the data may be lost or the hard drive may corrupt which can result in your backup getting lost.
Making a backup on a Mac or PC is easy as you have to just connect your device and the backup process will start but making a backup using iCloud is a bit complicated.
To back up your device using iCloud, follow these steps below.
How to Back up your iPhone using iCloud?
Before you start the backup process, make sure that your device is connected to Wi-Fi and power source as it may take some time.
- Go to Settings > (Your Name) > iCloud.
- Scroll down and look for iCloud Backup, tap on it.
- Toggle the slider next to iCloud Backup to turn it on.
- You will receive a popup saying your device will no longer sync with PC automatically.
- Tap on Ok(if that’s fine with you).
- Back up process will now be started.
- If for some reasons, it is not able to back up then you can tap on Backup Now to start the backup process.
When you back up your device using iCloud then following things will back up to your iCloud drive.
- iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages
- Call history
- Home screen and app organization
- App data
- Photos and videos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
- Purchase history from Apple services
- Health data
- Apple Watch data
- Device settings
- HomeKit configuration
- Visual Voicemail password (requires SIM card in use during backup)
If you have tried backing up then you probably would have encountered “Not Enough Storage” error. This is because by default you have 5 GB of storage on iCloud which is not enough to make a full backup.
To make a full backup, you probably will need to upgrade your iCloud subscription plan because 5 GB of free storage by Apple won’t be enough to store all of your device’s data in the iCloud drive.